Michael P Gulseth Anticoagulation Consulting, Inc.
- Expertise on the safe use of all anticoagulants, including heparin, enoxaparin (Lovenox), warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven), rivaroxaban (Xarelto), apixaban (Eliquis), edoxaban (Savaysa) and dabigatran etexilate (Pradaxa)
- Expertise in regulatory requirements (Joint Commission, CMS, Core Measures, Pay for Performance) involving anticoagulants
- Expertise in designing and implementing both inpatient and outpatient anticoagulation programs, including billing expertise
- Expertise on designing and implementing comprehensive anticoagulation training programs
- Expertise in designing sustainable systems to care for patients on anticoagulants
- Expertise on serving as an expert witness to defend hospitals and providers in lawsuits involving anticoagulants
Who We Are
Michael P. Gulseth, Pharm.D., BCPS, FMSHP, FASHP is the president and lead consultant. He also serves as the Program Director for Anticoagulation Services as Sanford USD Medical Center in Sioux Falls, SD. He is also a Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine.
Widely regarded as an international expert on the safe and appropriate use of anticoagulants. Dr. Gulseth recently chaired the panel who developed the new 2017 ISMP Medication Safety Self-Assessment for Antithrombotic Therapy. Dr. Gulseth is lead author and editor of Managing Anticoagulation Patients in the Hospital: the Inpatient Anticoagulation Service, published in 2007 by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). He is a co-editor and author of Anticoagulation Therapy: A Point of Care Guide, published in 2011 by the ASHP. He also the author or numerous peer reviewed publications and is a regularly speaks/consults on these topics all over the country.
Dr. Gulseth is an active member of several professional pharmacy organizations, including the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), the Minnesota Society of Health-System Pharmacists (MSHP), the South Dakota Society of Health-System Pharmacists, and the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. He has served on the Editorial Advisory Board of the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy and is a past president of MSHP. He was elected a Fellow of the ASHP in 2011 and MSHP in 2020.